Sunday, November 13, 2011

Karen Marie Moning's Fever Series, the Review:

A Review of Karen Marie Moning’s Fever Series
Jennifer Feuerstein
The books on Amazon

Okay, so this Jester Review is going to be a little different. I know there’s a lot of rave attention for this series out there and I had a few people ask me to review it. Honestly, in my humble opinion, it just cannot be done on an individual book basis. If you’re going to read one, you’re going to read them all. Therefore, this review will be a little longer than the average. That being said, let’s jump in…

Darkfever
Bloodfever
Faefever
Dreamfever
Shadowfever

The Fever Series is a departure from Ms Moning’s usual material. It currently consists of five novels and I’ll talk about each a little bit later. This story line is dark and twisted, definitely not your average paranormal romance. The romance part is more an undercurrent pulling you in without realizing the shore is drifting further away. It is also a first person narrative, which is an interesting spin for a series so dark.

The books’ highlight is the transformation of the title character MacKayla Lane. Certainly not the typical heroine, she has flaws that the books readily use to sweep the rug from under you. I did notice some of her introspections could get a little lengthy or repetitive at times. Did that stop me, hell no! The entire cast of characters is worth mentioning as well-developed. I’ll leave the interesting journey of learning about them up to you. –I’m a stinker that way- The Fever series has a few little stumbles in the beginning, but the ride is definitely worth overlooking those. It’s a rollercoaster of emotions that will have you jumping, crying, and pacing the room like Barrons in a temper. At one point, I called a friend in a panic I had reacted so vividly to what I’d read. For me, this is the mark of a good book. I can forget everything around me and become engrossed in the world the author has painted… and boy was I ever engrossed!

 A few words of wisdom: Have all the books ready. Trust me; you’re not going to want to run around finding the books once you start. The second thing I can tell you- If you need to get to bed, do not read the last chapter of Dreamfever. It will only suck you in to reading the first three chapters of Shadowfever. Not like that’s a bad thing… unless you have to work in 5 hours.

Darkfever: The first book wastes no time at getting you hooked on the series. Poor MacKayla is tossed into confusion so fast, it’ll give you whiplash. Her humor and way of coping will keep you laughing and the plot twists will keep you guessing. All while the darkness stalks you…

Bloodfever: For me this book was more interesting because it kept me guessing about the side characters. Seeing them from MacKayla’s ever-changing point of view kept me wondering just who was who. Like those mystery movies where you keep changing your mind about “who done it”.

Faefever: Just when things get kind of predictable and you’re screaming “the Butler did it”, Ms Moning gives us this book. In essence, it’ll flip everything you thought you knew on its head and turn the tables on MacKayla.

Dreamfever: Definitely the darkest and most erotic of the five novels, this one will have you questioning just what you’ve gotten yourself into. As I said before, if you have something to do or somewhere to be, stop before the last chapter. To be on the safe side, stop before the last two. Once you start those, you’re not going anywhere.

Shadowfever: This one was not my favorite of the group. It tries to bring everything together and a lot of it ends up being very confusing and almost too much to learn. I did enjoy Mac’s walk on the dark side… but that would require too many spoilers to explain.

Overall, for the entire series: Five out of Five Jester Hats! Yes, this is a “run people over and toss them out of your way to own every one of these books” series. And once hooked, you’re probably not going to be doing much besides reading them. The week it took me is pretty much a blur in my memory… as witnessed in the five hat rating. And the fact that I won’t loan them out…

There is much more I could say about this series, but I don’t want to take up the space especially since I could do a week long review…  If you have questions or would like a more detailed review/opinion, please feel free to comment or email me. I’m always happy to discuss the exploits of my bookworm addiction.

~Jennifer Feuerstein~




No comments:

Post a Comment